RepositoryLancashire Archives
LevelSubCollection
Reference numberCC/MC
TitleMagistrates' Courts Committee
Background InformationThe Magistrates Court Committee was established under the justices of the Peace Act 1949 and commenced under an order of 1 Dec. 1951. Before that date the Courts were the responsibility of the Standing Joint Committee (SJM).
The Compensation Authority became the responsibility of the Magistrates' Courts' Committee in 1972 when Quarter Sessions were abolished. The Compensation Committees administered a fund set up from contributions levied on licenced premises to compensate licencees whose licence was not renewed or was transferred under the Licencing (Consolidation) Act 1910. The Licencing Act 1964 made reference to the Compensation Committee compulsory.
AccessStatussee items
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017